Yoehn

Scizor Supports

14 posts in this topic

Just wanted to start the discussion about supports for Scizor, what supports you think are good for MUs & Why etc

Wanted to know what your thoughts are on Fennekin/Emolga as well?

Arpee has some pretty nice Litten combos with Scizor, but I've been using Jirachi/Whimsicott

Jirachi is a safe bet in most matches and can get you an extra burst in over 3 games, and Whimsicott helps a lot with the chandelure match-up. It allows you to get in during field phase and to keep close during the transition.

I'm currently running Snivy. On hit grounded it causes a hard knockdown which gives you free swords or meaty 4X setup, and as an anti air it lets you convert into the jY jX loop

I've been goofing off with new Cubone and Diglett.  Cubone's projectile durability beats the ones that you can't Hover Dash through and everything else Cubone does is just great.

Diglett is for swag.

I bet i'll eventually gravitate back to Frogadier and Eevee. They provide simply so much utility.

Hahaha I bet Scizor could make use of Magneton in combos.

I've been mostly playing safe with Eevee since I'm unsure of how his neutral works yet. Don't want to deal with a bursted opponent pushing me into a corner without access to my reliable pokes. Plus Scizor already does big damage, so the Eevee buff makes him terrifying. I also tried Whimsicott in the Darkrai MU to give a bit more breathing room, though Emolga might be more worth it against Darkrai/Chandy. 

Outside of practice battles, I've been labbing combo concepts with Emolga, Snivy, and Litten. Snivy helps provide another option to get your opponent in the air for his BnBs, so I'd definitely consider that one of his stronger supports atm. Emolga scales too much to be worth using strictly for combo potential; it's best used for MUs against heavy zoners or speed demons. Litten so far is incredibly fun, but some of its combos are unrealistic, especially considering you have to be pretty low on health to capitalize off it. Popplio, however, seems like a fun way to timer stall and maybe maneuver around projectiles. Need more time to test its utility though. 

The "standard go-to" supports seem really good on him. Snivy, Frog/Eevee, Jirachi, Umbreon, etc. I've been primarily picking between Snivy and Frog depending on the MU. Frog is nice for zoners like Darkrai, Gardy, etc because it forces them to just shut up for a second lol and allows you to approach more safely. Prefer Snivy for more CQC match ups. Great anti-air, which Sciz gets a great follow up off of, and on the ground Sciz really appreciates having that frame advantage or hard KD. 

Togekiss, while it is always a useful support and never a bad idea, does not benefit the speed of any of Scizor's kit.  It's just walking.   Personally, I find that i'm almost never walking with Scizor. I'm either dashing, charging CA, Hover Dashing, or gliding, none of which get boosted by Togekiss.   Rotom for Speed Down, but you might as well use Emolga.

Coming from Lucario, i'm very attuned to Frogadievee.   It doesn't seem crazy useful for Scizor, but maybe that's just me and what I want out of the character.  There's a field phase guard break setup you can do with Frogadier, but we already have field phase unblockables that we're working on.  Approaching with Frogadier is eh because you're either full screen and looking for a chance to Hover Dash, or up close where Frogadier can be reacted to and you die for it.  

Eevee is always a useful support and, like Togekiss, never a bad idea.  Lets you hit bursted opponents with stuff like Hover Y and Bullet Punch and gives you monster damage on our already 200+ from anywhere with a sword.

Umbreon is always a good defensive tool.

Snivy and Lapras are pretty useful. Anti-air that you can combo off of and Lapras for washing everything away and giving you room to grab a sword or dash in.

// Personally // , I've really been enjoying new Cubone and a bit of Diglett.  Diglett is still kinda eh, but you can use him to grab a sword if you need it.  Cubone, however, is fantastic.  He's been upgraded to where he'll combo into himself if you're not very close, it's a high durability projectile that clears things Hover Dash can't, and it boomerangs back which lets you get in or pick up a sword or two.  New Cubone is great.  I see myself using Cubone a lot with Scizor.

Using specific supports to grab swords is interesting, hadn't considered that myself. Hypothetically, perhaps Mismagius could be a strong support pick for him? Mismagius can shut down characters who need to be in your face, so it might bide enough time for double stacks. Plus the attack buff is always welcome and would accomplish a similar purpose as Eevee.

On 24/09/2017 at 2:08 AM, Nix said:

Arpee has some pretty nice Litten combos with Scizor, but I've been using Jirachi/Whimsicott

Jirachi is a safe bet in most matches and can get you an extra burst in over 3 games, and Whimsicott helps a lot with the chandelure match-up. It allows you to get in during field phase and to keep close during the transition.

Sabre had much better litten combos, I only had 1 and it wasn't all that great. I mostly use snivy or eevee 😄

Aight revisiting this topic.

Snivy - Great as an anti-air.  You can jump up and get basketball combo if you catch them airborne and gives you something less committal than U-Turn.  You can also use it for oki if you really want to to set up a 4[X] that they can't backdash.

Eevee - Kill people in four touches.  If you're burst mode, win field somehow and kill them in two.

Frogadier - It's neat. Lets you set up. There's probably a guard crushing unblockable in field phase.

Cubone - DX Cubone is a great tool. This is the one I use the most.  Comes out on frame 17 from call. Juggles on air hit, combos into itself from anywhere on point blank, sets up unblocks a backdash away or closer.  Usually makes people want to take an action instead of hold the second hit which you can use as an opening. You have enough time to pick up a sword and sometimes you can grab two if you're ballsy. Combos into anything, so go get your favorite confirm!  Also counts as a high durability projectile so will remove other projectiles or pass through with a trade. Very useful support.  (You can tell why the Darkrais are eyeballing this support too)

Here's my support guide for Scizor! These are just my opinions, and I'd love to hear some feedback. 

:Eevee::Frogadier: Eevee and Frogadier are both great choices for Scizor, making them one of the stronger support sets for Scizor. Eevee is wonderful against characters with strong Synergy B ursts, and Frogadier can stifle movement in Field Phase, making it harder for opponents to gain meter.

Useful against: :BlazikenOld::PikachuOld::PikachuLibre::GengarOld::WeavileOld::ShadowMewtwoOld:

:Mew:Mew is more effective than Eevee in matchups where Bullet Punch and 4Y, moves that have increased reward on crit, are used more frequently. Like Eevee, it can also be used to counteract strong Synergy Bursts, but it lacks the consistent of Eevee.

Useful against: :Croagunk::SceptileOld::MachampOld::Empoleon::GarchompOld:

:MegaRayquaza:Mega Rayquaza is useful in matchups where the opponent has one or more ranged options that are difficult for Scizor to contest without the use of a support. For this role, :Emolga:Emolga and :Cubone:Cubone are also good choices.

Useful against: :DarkraiOld::BlastoiseOld::ChandelureOld::SuicuneOld:

Finally, :Rotom::Togekiss:Rotom and Togekiss is another set where both support choices are effective. Rotom significantly improves Scizor's ability to gain resources as well as function without them. Togekiss is my personal favorite, and I use it all the time, but I acknowledge that it works best against characters with strong neutral tools that can be circumvented with the speed boost it provides.

Useful against: :AegislashOld::LucarioOld::GardevoirOld::Decidueye::BraixenOld::MegaScizorOld::MewtwoOld::CharizardOld:

Already, a number of people have asked me about :Snivy:Snivy. Snivy is a classic support choice for Scizor, popularized by Japanese player RARA. It's still used to this day by many Scizors, and so my not including it in this guide raised a few eyebrows. I'll be blunt: I think it sucks. For starters, Scizor already has not 1, but 2 of the best anti airs in the game, being 8Y and U-Turn. Why an i15 armored anti air move with gigantic horizontal and vertical hitboxes is considered "strong" should be obvious, but eliminating 8Y from your gameplay in favor of U-Turn is an easy trap to fall into. While the reward granted for an 8Y anti air isn't particularly high, it's still a remarkably consistent anti air that hits opponents who are behind you. This is the important part: almost no other character in the game has a crossup anti air. Scizor's almost impossible to approach from the air to begin with, which is why I think Snivy is a waste of your support. I will grant that:Lapras:Lapras is actually a pretty good choice for Scizor, but I don't think it's enough to justify using the set over something like Mega Rayquaza or Emolga.