Sign in to follow this  
Gintrax

Shield Break guide and data (Dx Update)

Hello everyone my Name is Gintrax and I am a competitive Sceptile player from Germany.

Today I want to introduce you to one of the most important but hugely overlooked aspects of this game: Shields; Or rather how to break them.

There are three types of shields in the game: Standard, Strong and Weak, they have a certain shield strength to them, which determines after how much damage they will break.
- Standard shields break upon receiving 120 damage to them.
- Strong shields break upon receiving 144 damage to them.
- Weak shields break upon receiving 100 damage to them. 
- The character that possess a strong shield are Empoleon and Scizor.
- The characters that have a possess shield are Weavile, Chandelure and Shadow Mewtwo.
- Everyone else possesses a standard shield.

This is how buffs and debuffs interact with your shield:
- Attack up: Will make you deal more shield damage to your opponent. For usefulness sake you can say this reduces their effective shield strength to your attacks to 100/120/80 respectively.
   - Special Braixen Tip: This also affects your support pokemons shield damage!
- Defense down: Will make your opponent receive more shield damage. Their effective shield strength is reduced to 100/120/80.
- Both an attack buff on you and a defense debuff on the opposing side will scale and thus reduce the opponents effective shield strength to 86/70.
- Defense up: Will increase effective shield strength to 150/180/120.
- Both an Defense up and attack up/defense down will cancel each other out and return to a shield strength of 120/144/100.

- For all you theorycrafters: Attack down and defense up will increase effective shield strength to 200/240/160

Your shield resets to its maximum respective strength under the following conditions:
- You declare burst mode
- You suffer a hard knockdown
- Your shield gets broken
- A phase shift occurs
- An air tech will recover 32/40/28 damage from your shield.

The benefits of shield breaking:
- Shield breaking your opponents will drain them 40cc, which is a full phase shift from field to duel.
- Shield pressure is useful to condition your opponent into dropping shield to escape your pressure.

Supports that aid in shield breaking: (Note that just like Supports can't kill, they also cant break shields!)
- Frogadier/Farfetch'd/Cubone
Deal low shield damage but might bait the opponent into blocking all hits which might net you a shield break with some characters.

- Diglett
The OG of shield break setups has fallen heavily out of grace since the nerfs. Current version deals 16 shield damage and comes out very slow.

- Mismagius
Deals around 22 shield damage if all hits connect. Preferred by zoners for easy zone control and shield breaks if the opponent deals wrong with it.

- Electrode
Deals 50 shield damage and 72 chip damage if blocked. It will also just deal 160 damage straight up if not managed to block.

- Dragonite
Does 34 shield damage and will allow you to followup with several attacks if the opponent decides to shield all the hits.
Machamp for example get a cool shield break setup with Dragonite:
Upon opponents wakeup: Second hit of 5X[X] Dragonite 4A 2Y

- Reshiram
Deals 54 shield damage if all hits connect and will put the opponent at full screen distance. Zoners get the most reward from this support.

- Quagsire
 Quagsire does 24 shield damage and creates a nasty situation for the opponent that you can easily take advantage of if your pressure is on point. It also gets buffed in 1.5 to 30 sek recharge and larger hitboxes.

- Yveltal 
Does respectable 38 shield damage in itself, very solid choice against opponents you DO NOT want to see in burst.

Character specific shield damage:
I only labbed data for Sceptile, you will have to do your own character by yourselves. I will do however do data for Empoleon and Decidueye when Dx is out!

Edited by Gintrax
Dx Update

This is really good to know! I'll be sure to consider using Sylveon more often to deal with shield break set-ups

Just out of curiosity, what would the effective shield health be with a defense buff and the opponent's attack debuffed? Also I could assume supports that deal shield damage can't break shields similar to the fact that they can't kill, right?

On 22.6.2017 at 3:35 PM, RickyThe3rd said:

This is really good to know! I'll be sure to consider using Sylveon more often to deal with shield break set-ups

Just out of curiosity, what would the effective shield health be with a defense buff and the opponent's attack debuffed? Also I could assume supports that deal shield damage can't break shields similar to the fact that they can't kill, right?

Effective shield strength with attack down and defense up is 200/160.

Yes, supports can't break shields by themselves.

Thanks to Charizard main player RedFlare and @kaloncpu57, we now have the actual shield strength in internal values (I'll call them Shield Health - SH), as well as data on the DLC fighters!

WEAK SHIELD - 480 SH

:WeavileOld::ChandelureOld::ShadowMewtwoOld::AegislashOld:

STRONG SHIELD - 720 SH

:Empoleon::MegaScizorOld::BlastoiseOld:

STANDARD SHIELD - 600 SH

Everyone else

Another thing we discovered is that each attack has an associated Shield Damage, although it's often 1.5 times the normal damage, it's not always said value and so it must be tested or taken from the Wii U attack tables, if the attack was not touched in Pokkén Tournament DX. It is expected that they follow the same damage modifying rules discovered by @Bazaro.

EDIT: actually, only Defense and Attack modifiers work, giving the same buffs and debuffs they give on normal attacks, Burst, Burst modifiers and Rage don't affect Shield Damage.

Finally, breaking the shield makes the player lose 150 SP (37.5 cc) on WiiU, it's probably the same value on DX since the one found by @Gintrax is very close. As a further reminder, the move that breaks the shield has an associated scaling applied to the subsequent moves, said scaling is not always the same as the scaling used on combos, especially in the case of :PikachuOld:.

Edited by Mister Wu
wrong term in the 600 SH header