Bolimar

Kara Cancels

5 posts in this topic

In Pokkén tournament, there is a mechanic that lets you cancel a move into grab, counter attack, or burst declare/attack by pressing the second button in it's respective button combination. For instance, if you use Lucario 6Y and input B right after, you will use the startup of the 6Y, but cancel it into a grab. This is very useful for extending Lucario's grab range by a whole lot. Here is an example:

While Lucario may benefit the most from this tech, very many Pokemon can make use of it to a great extent. Plenty of other pokemon can extend their grabs quite a lot with this, like Shadow Mewtwo with his 8Y, or Blaziken with his 6Y. This can also be used to extend the range of your counter attack, however useful that may be. The latest you can cancel the move is on the 3rd frame, so the window is pretty tight, but it becomes pretty easy with practice. This also means that you can't get cheeky with certain move properties unless they come out on frame 1, but you can still get creative with the few moves with frame 1 properties!

You can use this with armor and counter attack moves to add safety to your grab or time to your counter attack, but if the moves are hit while they are active they will play out as normal without cancelling. In frame tight situations, Lucario and Pikachu can use this this to not use their dragon punches and instead counter attack if they don't get hit, for instance. This goes the same for moves that tech grab on frame one. If you use an 8X before cancelling into CA when -8, you will be safe from a mashed grab and get a full punish, while using a CA afterwards if you do not tech a grab (you'll still get hit by frame 9 attacks, haHAA). There are also pretty silly impractical applications of this tech, such as getting Pikachu Libre to make a sound effect from one of his Pokemon moves as he counter attacks, or getting Shadow Mewtwo to make a fake pillar with his grab. There is a lot of room for exploration with those 3 frames, so go wild.

There is one exception to the 2 button combination rule, and also one exception to the counter attack playing all the way through if it hits rule, and both of these involve a fully charged support and the R button. If your synergy gauge is not full, you can cancel support into block, following all the same rules as kara cancelling. Although block isn't a 2 button combination, it's still a kara cancel from support which is kinda rad but not really applicable. If you are using a counter attack support, it will play all the way through instead of cancelling into block if it gets hit, so maybe there is a use with a support like electrode? When your support gauge IS full, or you are currently in burst mode, you can kara cancel support into burst declare or burst attack. In both cases, a counter attack support will NOT play through if it is hit, and instead you will get the kara cancel! This is really cool since you can turn burst attacks with no armor into burst attacks with a little bit of armor, and that little bit can go a long way since hitboxes stop being active as soon as they hit something.

I hope this taught you a thing or two about all the things you can do with kara cancelling, the tech is super groovy and totally worth some lab time with your character.

Edited by Bolimar

Well written guide. Unlike lotta stuff some people write, not overwhelming in length. Small criticism, didn't even notice you wrote words above the video when reading, might be me neglecting it but just because of how the site formats your work the video is the first thing people will see when they open the article, and then many (like myself) would likely read below the video to figure out whats happening. Idk could just be me tho

I've been experimenting with this briefly, and I'd like to ask a couple things based on that. First thing is that I can't tell a difference when attempting a kara-cancel without a directional input. Do you happen to know why that is? Am I doing something wrong or are neutral inputs just not suitable for kara-cancels? I attempted it with a number of characters, but I'm noticing nothing. With most directional inputs, though, I feel like it's fairly obvious.

The other thing is that, based on the info in this thread, when Kara-cancelling, you use the startup frames of the cancelled moves instead of that of the grab. So say I am playing Weavile, who has a f9 grab, and I kara-cancel 2Y, which is also f9, does the grab get any slower at all?

Just dropping a quick note here that the patch notes for mid-November DX update say that canceling into burst declare/attack will be gone. No more giving counter frames/iframes to your burst attacks. Hopefully the rest of the kara cancels will still be with us.