ALLISTER

Operation: Synergy

The problem with a Switch port is a good chunk of the community has no desire to get a Switch just yet. There are neither Pokemon nor fighting games available on the Switch at the moment, so unless they just *happen* to like one of the games, it screws with their target audience. A new Switch costs bank right now, let alone two of them.

That all being said, it makes sense for updates to go to the Switch simply because the Wii U has been shoved aside in favor of the new console. Though it'd be a middle finger to some of the current players, it could do wonders for a new audience.

I honestly want a Switch port, but people are definitely going to be crabby about migrating if there isn't another Switch game they want to play. If we prioritize worlds, the new patch should be on the Wii U. However, the game's longevity would/might benefit more if we wait for a port.  Bleh. Marketing.

Edited by PaperSak

I've said this more than once and I will say it again until the end of whenever.

HOW ABOUT A SWITCH PORT AND A WII U UPDATE

How come no one else suggests this, the Wii U gets the same update as the Switch Port so people who got the Wii U version don't have to upgrade to another system and purchase the same game again, and knowing Nintendo, probably at full retail price just to stay competitive in the game. Make a Switch port, give it a few not-so drastic upgrades, give it cross platform play with the Wii U version if possible, and BOOM no one gets their toes stepped on or a middle finger thrown in their face if they can't afford a Switch, game, and maybe a hori pad IDK. I don't get why people automatically assume it has to be one or the other. Its the Graphics vs Gameplay argument I see nintendo fanboys use all the time and I'm sitting here like "Why can't we have both"

Edited by M.o.D

3 hours ago, PaperSak said:

The problem with a Switch port is a good chunk of the community has no desire to get a Switch just yet. There are neither Pokemon nor fighting games available on the Switch at the moment, so unless they just *happen* to like one of the games, it screws with their target audience. A new Switch costs bank right now, let alone two of them.

That all being said, it makes sense for updates to go to the Switch simply because the Wii U has been shoved aside in favor of the new console. Though it'd be a middle finger to some of the current players, it could do wonders for a new audience.

I honestly want a Switch port, but people are definitely going to be crabby about migrating if there isn't another Switch game they want to play. If we prioritize worlds, the new patch should be on the Wii U. However, the game's longevity would/might benefit more if we wait for a port.  Bleh. Marketing.

Thing is, Pokkén going to the Switch would make players more inclined to purchase, which is what Nintendo is after. They want to sell a console? They need to drag players to it. They want profits? A port gives it.

Also, @M.o.D, an Update would be good, but it isn't worth it in the current climate. The Wii U is dead, there's no point in an update to a console that's not even available anymore.

I skipped ORAS because I didn't want to spend $50 on a series I just bought brand new the year before. I'd be a hypocrite if I expected someone to spend $350 on a series they just bought last year. There are people who bought extra Wii Us just for Pokkén setups, and they'd be obsolete months after their purchase. IF the port happened before worlds, anyway.

Having both the update and the port, as MoD was saying, sounds good for fans. But I don't know how we'd sell that to TPCI. They wouldn't make much money off of the port if half of the interested players didn't migrate. Low sales for the port could make naysayer gaming blogs go nuts with negativity. I know they made 3DSs compatible with Wii U Smash 4, but I'm skeptical they'd integrate any compatibility with the Wii U for Pokkén when their focus is the Switch. Just the fact that this was released at the end of the Wii U' s cycle is making this timing so messy. ><;

It would be quite the plot twist to see if they thought of dual console compatibility ahead of time, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well... this is all sounding pessimistic... bottom line, we want them to know that we want the patch. If they released the balances from 1.5 on Wii U and characters on Switch, honestly, that floats my boat. But it'd be straight up weird.

7 minutes ago, PaperSak said:

I skipped ORAS because I didn't want to spend $50 on a series I just bought brand new the year before. I'd be a hypocrite if I expected someone to spend $350 on a series they just bought last year. There are people who bought extra Wii Us just for Pokkén setups, and they'd be obsolete months after their purchase. IF the port happened before worlds, anyway.

Having both the update and the port, as MoD was saying, sounds good for fans. But I don't know how we'd sell that to TPCI. They wouldn't make much money off of the port if half of the interested players didn't migrate. Low sales for the port could make naysayer gaming blogs go nuts with negativity. I know they made 3DSs compatible with Wii U Smash 4, but I'm skeptical they'd integrate any compatibility with the Wii U for Pokkén when their focus is the Switch. Just the fact that this was released at the end of the Wii U' s cycle is making this timing so messy. ><;

It would be quite the plot twist to see if they thought of dual console compatibility ahead of time, but I'm not holding my breath.

Well... this is all sounding pessimistic... bottom line, we want them to know that we want the patch. If they released the balances from 1.5 on Wii U and characters on Switch, honestly, that floats my boat. But it'd be straight up weird.

Thing is, the patch won't work for Nintendo or TPCi. It doesn't work for Pokkén either if you read my previous post.

HERE'S WHY A PATCH WON'T FIX SHIT: THE TOS STILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH A WII U SHORTAGE, COPY OF THE GAME SHORTAGE, AND THE EXPENSES OF EVEN GETTING A TOURNEY OFF THE DAMN GROUND. Why in God's name do you want a patch when the game and the console are no longer in production, plus the game flopped competitively?! It doesn't work for us, the TOs, or them! We'll still be in the same place, and we'll look really, really sad to the FGC. It's not working.

Note that a port takes a while too: IT'S WON'T HAPPEN RIGHT AWAY, and it will take months (in which better games are released) to get the port out there in the first place. Thus, your argument about a lack of games outside of Zelda (in which making a purchase unreasonable) is completely negated. 

In the long term, a Switch Port works: down the line, good games will be released making it more reasonable to buy the console. That's a fair compromise.

The update simply isn't profitable, and a Switch Port is better for the long term survival of the game. Remember: we won't have to switch immediately, and we'll have more setups overall. 

Basically, everything I said before.

I'm fine with both a Wii U patch AND a Switch port. I just believe the Switch port should be the priority since it's incentive for TPCI and would be something for new Switch owners to look forward to. 

And don't forget, ARMS will eventually be out, and that's a fighting game that's turning heads. Indeed, this is about a long term big return. A patch would be great, but that's more short term and is only a big return for us who are already invested in the game.

1 minute ago, Hyperdon said:

I'm fine with both a Wii U patch AND a Switch port. I just believe the Switch port should be the priority since it's incentive for TPCI and would be something for new Switch owners to look forward to. 

And don't forget, ARMS will eventually be out, and that's a fighting game that's turning heads. Indeed, this is about a long term big return. A patch would be great, but that's more short term and is only a big return for us who are already invested in the game.

I have a friend that played Arms and apparently it is like a enhanced version of Wii Sports boxing. I have no clue if there will be a scene or not big enough to survive out there.

16 hours ago, Hyperdon said:

This is what I mean. ARMS would literally write Pokkén a death sentence if it JUST gets a patch. The Switch would have ARMS and potentially Smash if the rumors are true: if Pokkén doesn't transfer then it's all over.

12 hours ago, Plague von Karma said:

This is what I mean. ARMS would literally write Pokkén a death sentence if it JUST gets a patch. The Switch would have ARMS and potentially Smash if the rumors are true: if Pokkén doesn't transfer then it's all over.

You're not even taking backlash into consideration are you?

15 hours ago, BraixenFan said:

You're not even taking backlash into consideration are you?

What are you exactly talking about in the context of backlash? I'm speaking realistically. The Wii U is a dead console, and has been Pokkén's ball and chain from the get-go. The Switch would release that ball and chain, and actually become something Nintendo can organize properly.

On 3/16/2017 at 4:06 PM, Plague von Karma said:

What are you exactly talking about in the context of backlash? I'm speaking realistically. The Wii U is a dead console, and has been Pokkén's ball and chain from the get-go. The Switch would release that ball and chain, and actually become something Nintendo can organize properly.

And then everyone gets pissed because they'll have to pay over $300 Just to use the new characters even though they could've just as easily put them on the Wii U. And before you say anything, this is a big deal because enough backlash could potentially affect sales numbers as well as cause costumers to stop buying from the company altogether.

I think Plague's right about one thing: Pokkén in 2017 is going to be a mess. A Wii U patch wrecks the chances of recruiting new people. A Switch port angers (most of the) current players. Giving both the patch and the port might divide the fanbase in some screwy, oddball way.

Imo, we need the letters to tell Pokemon that even if sales and event participation are completely whack in 2017, we would support it if they would handle event and DLC announcements at a realistic pace.

12 hours ago, BraixenFan said:

And then everyone gets pissed because they'll have to pay over $300 Just to use the new characters even though they could've just as easily put them on the Wii U. And before you say anything, this is a big deal because enough backlash could potentially affect sales numbers as well as cause costumers to stop buying from the company altogether.

It wouldn't necessarily. If they didn't want to upgrade, they could still use the Wii U Setups. Melee does this with Wii Consoles quite regularly here in the UK: why wouldn't they? It's not like the patch isn't important: I think that if a Switch Port happened a Wii U Patch would naturally happen. I just want the Switch Port to happen as overall it does what the community wants: it recruits new players.

The backlash would be minimal anyway: only around 40% of the community would be angry at the lack of a patch + a Switch Port, and to me they're not real fans. Real fans would rejoice at the fact Pokkén is being noticed and given anything at all. $300? Come on, we all spent more than that on the Wii U as a whole with Smash, Add-Ons and probably other games too. It's not like there's just going to be one game: there will be many more. We're all going to spend this much eventually, and overall far more. Why complain when common sense says you're gonna spend more in the end anyway?

Not everyone will be getting pissed. This would make more of the community happy than upset: it's what Pokkén needs for;

- TOs to be remotely interested in running Pokkén Tournaments: I say this from experience myself and with other TOs when trying to resurrect the Pokkén UK Scene. We failed because the setups are so hard to get and set up. Rare console due to production ending, lack of Pokkén copies.

- Nintendo to be able to run an optimal BYOS/BYOC Tournament since people can simply bring their copies like a Pokemon VGC Tournament. Thus, the disaster that is Liverpool Nationals will never happen again.

- More players as it's not on a shit console with nothing going for it due to lack of support and a shit launch.

- An actual good Multiplayer.

- To stop the 30 FPS Tournaments from happening.

Basically, it's common sense. Personally I would buy the Switch if Pokkén was coming to it, as I am interested in Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey already. Think outside of the box, get rid of that tunnel vision.

**Oh shite a double post because apparently I can't edit my posts once I put them**

Got some more things to say.

1) If you think a Switch Port w/out a Pokkén Patch would cause enough backlash to affect sales, you need your head checking out. Most people who complain in the Nintendo Community still buy their stuff despite it. I've seen Smash Players who despise Bayonetta and Cloud STILL BUY BAYONETTA AND CLOUD. People who complain about DLC? They still maining Ryu tho. People who complain about the Pokkén Switch Port? They still buy it. How many people in total won't? Probably about a further 10% who are actually serious from the 40% who complain. 

2) There's what, 200 people who still play Pokkén Competitively still? That's not enough backlash to have any effect at all tbh. I take Business in my studies, and trust me, this isn't anywhere near big enough of a pressure group to do anything in terms of forcing a patch. I'll be honest with you: I haven't had much faith in Operation Synergy in the first place as the Wii U is dead and this game is definitely on a downward spiral. I was really trying to get this game off the ground, but trust me, the game itself and the console have crippled it.

I never said backlash would affect sales, I said it was possible because let's face it, you never know with people these days, which is evident by the fact that people are willing to try to get a game cancelled the moment they see the reveal trailer. Also you can't prove everything you said.

16 hours ago, BraixenFan said:

I never said backlash would affect sales, I said it was possible because let's face it, you never know with people these days, which is evident by the fact that people are willing to try to get a game cancelled the moment they see the reveal trailer. Also you can't prove everything you said.

1) Backlash would be minimal due to the amount of people in the community. You can estimate (or outright get the number if you are willing to discount doubles) this through counting members on this forum and in the /r/PokkenGame Discord. It totals to around 200 - 300 People. I have done this myself, but if you're willing to go through the effort of proving that I am wrong, then you can do it yourself.

2) 

On 3/20/2017 at 7:39 AM, BraixenFan said:

You did say it could affect sales numbers, and that was a major founding point of your post. 

Also, the people who try to get a game cancelled based on the trailer never get far. The best they get is the game being polished and made into a genuinely good game. The backlash, as I said, is always minimal. If it was as major as you put it, then a lot of games would be cancelled and Bayonetta would have been removed from Smash.

3) I've seen a LOT of people buy games when they say they'll stop buying from Nintendo altogether. Also, everyone I know who said if Bayonetta got into Smash they'd quit, didn't. They just kept whining. Proof? Go to the Facebook Smash Communities.

4) I cannot prove the Switch System for Pokkén's Connectivity, but it's circumstantial. I'm basing it on how the Arcade Port to the Wii U altered connectivity, and how it can happen again. Given it's a fatal flaw in the game, it would have to be looked into.

5) I am definitely right about the Buying Part. Note that the port wouldn't happen right away. In fact, it would take around 4 - 6 months (see my original post back in the replies) for a polished copy to be released. If they're adding characters like they did in the Wii U Port on top of this, then it could take a year. This is coming from a Game Developer by the way (Sources in my Signature: I develop games all the time). 

6) For a Wii U, it costed around £250 to start. Then if you count Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Pokkén, Smash and possibly Smash DLC, it comes to well over £450. So yes, pretty much everyone dropped more on the Wii U than they would on the Switch AT THIS CURRENT TIME.

7) Source on the Wii U's Production ending. This also means Pokkén's Physical Copies.

So yes, I can prove anything but the speculation on Pokkén's Switch Connectivity. Satisfied? Hopefully.

On 3/23/2017 at 4:20 PM, Plague von Karma said:

1) Backlash would be minimal due to the amount of people in the community. You can estimate (or outright get the number if you are willing to discount doubles) this through counting members on this forum and in the /r/PokkenGame Discord. It totals to around 200 - 300 People. I have done this myself, but if you're willing to go through the effort of proving that I am wrong, then you can do it yourself.

2) 

You did say it could affect sales numbers, and that was a major founding point of your post. 

Also, the people who try to get a game cancelled based on the trailer never get far. The best they get is the game being polished and made into a genuinely good game. The backlash, as I said, is always minimal. If it was as major as you put it, then a lot of games would be cancelled and Bayonetta would have been removed from Smash.

3) I've seen a LOT of people buy games when they say they'll stop buying from Nintendo altogether. Also, everyone I know who said if Bayonetta got into Smash they'd quit, didn't. They just kept whining. Proof? Go to the Facebook Smash Communities.

4) I cannot prove the Switch System for Pokkén's Connectivity, but it's circumstantial. I'm basing it on how the Arcade Port to the Wii U altered connectivity, and how it can happen again. Given it's a fatal flaw in the game, it would have to be looked into.

5) I am definitely right about the Buying Part. Note that the port wouldn't happen right away. In fact, it would take around 4 - 6 months (see my original post back in the replies) for a polished copy to be released. If they're adding characters like they did in the Wii U Port on top of this, then it could take a year. This is coming from a Game Developer by the way (Sources in my Signature: I develop games all the time). 

6) For a Wii U, it costed around £250 to start. Then if you count Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Pokkén, Smash and possibly Smash DLC, it comes to well over £450. So yes, pretty much everyone dropped more on the Wii U than they would on the Switch AT THIS CURRENT TIME.

7) Source on the Wii U's Production ending. This also means Pokkén's Physical Copies.

So yes, I can prove anything but the speculation on Pokkén's Switch Connectivity. Satisfied? Hopefully.

No, you can't prove as much as you think you can. And you've completely misunderstood my point about how people reacted to reveal trailers.

comparing Pokkén with the Wii U and Switch to Melee with the GCN and the Wii is a big problem in and of itself:

Smash Bros Melee was only distributed in physical copies and the Wii could just so HAPPEN to play GCN games [right out of the box, no updates, no post release fixes, it was right there from the get-go, the same applies with the Wii U playing Wii games, although I've found running the Brawl mod Project M to be difficult].

the Wii U uses disc format while the Switch uses a memory cartridge that's seriously no bigger than a standard SD card, and while you can argue the Switch is capable of Digital Downloads of Wii U games, that's running the assumption that the Switch is even Remotely capable of gettimg them. as far as I'm aware, the function to transfer digital Wii U games is not available, and even if it was, it sounds unlikely that the console's ad-hoc play features will even work with Wii U Pokkén's LAN mode.

if you want to be "realistic", here's how I think the potential demand for a Switch port will go: if the Switch cannot transfer Wii U games, but Pokkén gets a port, it's basically spitting in the face of people who got it the first time around, and that's never a good thing. if the Switch can transfer Wii U Games, but Pokkén's multiplayer modes no longer work because the Pokkén Controller and LAN Mode doesn't translate at all... players will still stick with the Wii U console. [if you want the Switch to run Pokkén and keep its multiplayer intact, you'll need ask for the devs to make the Pokkén controller compatible with the system, and ensure the game's LAN mode either translates properly with the Switch's Ad-hoc features... WITHOUT the risk of interference with so many consoles running it, or find a LAN Adapter that can connect to a Switch dock and work. and by last recall, the Wii U LAN adapters presumably don't work with the Switch]

and FYI, the Gamecube and Wii are ALSO dead consoles, and yet Melee (and in an underground degree, Project M) still thrives to this day because people take VERY good care of the consoles they can get ahold of. if they can do it with enough hard work, who's to say we can't?

Edited by Phoenix502

4 hours ago, Phoenix502 said:

comparing Pokkén with the Wii U and Switch to Melee with the GCN and the Wii is a big problem in and of itself:

Smash Bros Melee was only distributed in physical copies and the Wii could just so HAPPEN to play GCN games [right out of the box, no updates, no post release fixes, it was right there from the get-go, the same applies with the Wii U playing Wii games, although I've found running the Brawl mod Project M to be difficult].

the Wii U uses disc format while the Switch uses a memory cartridge that's seriously no bigger than a standard SD card, and while you can argue the Switch is capable of Digital Downloads of Wii U games, that's running the assumption that the Switch is even Remotely capable of gettimg them. as far as I'm aware, the function to transfer digital Wii U games is not available, and even if it was, it sounds unlikely that the console's ad-hoc play features will even work with Wii U Pokkén's LAN mode.

if you want to be "realistic", here's how I think the potential demand for a Switch port will go: if the Switch cannot transfer Wii U games, but Pokkén gets a port, it's basically spitting in the face of people who got it the first time around, and that's never a good thing. if the Switch can transfer Wii U Games, but Pokkén's multiplayer modes no longer work because the Pokkén Controller and LAN Mode doesn't translate at all... players will still stick with the Wii U console. [if you want the Switch to run Pokkén and keep its multiplayer intact, you'll need ask for the devs to make the Pokkén controller compatible with the system, and ensure the game's LAN mode either translates properly with the Switch's Ad-hoc features... WITHOUT the risk of interference with so many consoles running it, or find a LAN Adapter that can connect to a Switch dock and work. and by last recall, the Wii U LAN adapters presumably don't work with the Switch]

and FYI, the Gamecube and Wii are ALSO dead consoles, and yet Melee (and in an underground degree, Project M) still thrives to this day because people take VERY good care of the consoles they can get ahold of. if they can do it with enough hard work, who's to say we can't?

There's a difference here: The GameCube was a somewhat successful console while the Wii U is one of the biggest flops Nintendo has made. With access to the very successful Wii, that's why Melee survives to this day. I already brought up the crazy differences: read plz.

10 hours ago, BraixenFan said:

No, you can't prove as much as you think you can. And you've completely misunderstood my point about how people reacted to reveal trailers.

If you think I can't then counter my points in the post. Don't TL;DR and refute every single one. I brought up a substantial argument and you have no proof. If you don't have counters to any of the points, then leave.

Anyone know for sure if the current Hori pad is compatible with the Switch? I can check the LAN adapter when I'm not lazy... 

6 hours ago, Plague von Karma said:

There's a difference here: The GameCube was a somewhat successful console while the Wii U is one of the biggest flops Nintendo has made. With access to the very successful Wii, that's why Melee survives to this day. I already brought up the crazy differences: read plz.

If you think I can't then counter my points in the post. Don't TL;DR and refute every single one. I brought up a substantial argument and you have no proof. If you don't have counters to any of the points, then leave.

You know what? I'm just going to say it. GET OVER YOURSELF AND STOP ACTING LIKE YOUR OPINIONS ARE INHERENTLY CORRECT!

16 hours ago, BraixenFan said:

You know what? I'm just going to say it. GET OVER YOURSELF AND STOP ACTING LIKE YOUR OPINIONS ARE INHERENTLY CORRECT!

Dude chill out! Just because his thoughts clash with yours doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it!