snoozingslowpoke

New to the forum and fighting games

Hey guys, Long time Pokémon fan played a lot of vgc and decided I wanted to learn Pokkén.

I'm pretty new to fighting games (only played smash for fun no items tho) and I just cleared the main campaign of Pokkén XD with Suicune.

But I want to learn the game and get to the point that I can hold my own a bit when I play online. I already checked the beginners guide by BadIntent. those where really helpful.

But I think my main problem is combo execution and learning the framedata (it is all a bit to much to learn at once I feel) 

Beside Suicune I tried all the other fighters and I think the one I like the most at this point is Pikachu. 

Any tips and advice would be highly appreciated.

Learning the frame data all at once is difficult, and quite honestly I think there are more important points to keep in mind first:

• the impact frames of the moves is actually usually split into groups separated by 4 frames:
  1. Pikachu has an aerial attack that hits on frame 9, then there are the moves that hit on frame 11 (including most grabs). Those are the attacks you use to punish most missed moves.
  2. There are then the moves that hit on frame 15, most standard jabs (just press Y, aka 5Y) hit on that frame and are thus useful to quickly start a decent combo on the opponent
  3. Finally the attacks that hit on later frames (19 onwards) that are usually powerful (e.g. often able to break shields) but also easily interrupted by the quickest move before they even start.
  4. Charging pretty much always requires additional 20 frames, by the way.
  • At the beginning you'll need to learn in which group each move falls so you'll now how to gain priority and how to punish the missed attack of the opponents.
  • Secondly, you'll need to learn how much punishable each move is so you don't shoot yourself on the foot with a move that once shielded, it begs the opponent to hit your Pikachu.

To improve the combo execution I'd say the main points are knowing the combos and practicing them. Try to learn also the details about the execution - sometimes the combos require additional conditions that might not be obvious when just watching the video the first time.

Edited by Mister Wu
Fixed the impact frame of Pikachu's jY

20 hours ago, Mister Wu said:

Learning the frame data all at once is difficult, and quite honestly I think there are more important points to keep in mind first:

• the impact frames of the moves is actually usually split into groups separated by 4 frames:
  1. Pikachu has an aerial attack that hits on frame 9, then there are the moves that hit on frame 11 (including most grabs). Those are the attacks you use to punish most missed moves.
  2. There are then the moves that hit on frame 15, most standard jabs (just press Y, aka 5Y) hit on that frame and are thus useful to quickly start a decent combo on the opponent
  3. Finally the attacks that hit on later frames (19 onwards) that are usually powerful (e.g. often able to break shields) but also easily interrupted by the quickest move before they even start.
  4. Charging pretty much always requires additional 20 frames, by the way.
  • At the beginning you'll need to learn in which group each move falls so you'll now how to gain priority and how to punish the missed attack of the opponents.
  • Secondly, you'll need to learn how much punishable each move is so you don't shoot yourself on the foot with a move that once shielded, it begs the opponent to hit your Pikachu.

To improve the combo execution I'd say the main points are knowing the combos and practicing them. Try to learn also the details about the execution - sometimes the combos require additional conditions that might not be obvious when just watching the video the first time.

Thank you Mister Wu. These are all very helpful tips indeed. Gonna take a look at the moves again and lean what moves best to use for priority.