Sign in to follow this  
ALLISTER

Pokkén Arena Appreciation Thread!

Hello Pokkén Players!

Pokkén Arena is a fantastic forum where you can contribute and learn. We have accumulated a lot of data, so many guides, and answered tons of questions in the past years. PA is a great resource for Pokkén Tournament DX!

Below, tell us why you're a fan or share a special memory you have with PA!

There may be something in store for one lucky user!

Thanks again for always supporting! :Jirachi:

Favorite 2 things:
1. Hoping that the young online warriors find their way to the forum when they realize they want more and using it as a link to our offline scenes.
2. Repository for game info that isn't transient like twitter!!!  I reference the character boards all the time!

My favorite Pokkén Arena memory is the first time I went on the Suicune forms! 

I knew there were tons of other people playing the game in the early days, but for whatever reason I hadn't found Pokkén Arena yet. Then one day on Twitter someone shared with me a link to Pursuit's Suicune combo guide. That guide completely changed the way I approached the game from that point forward. Not just my combo game as Suicune, but my entire mindset and approach to improving at Pokkén. I no longer was playing alone, I was playing with friends and had a community to contribute to. 

So shoutouts to everyone who laid the groundwork for characters, studied mechanics, or discussed the competitive meta. You all laid the groundwork and foundation on Pokkén Arena for everything our community has grown to become and we'll be forever in your debt.

Too many people don’t realize what a blessing it is to have Pokkén Arena available to them. It’s not only a good place for developing players to post their thoughts, but for newer players to find a place to learn and get involved with the community. The fact that this forum is the first thing that comes up when you google “Competitive Pokkén”  makes me glad considering what it has to offer.

While i will admit I personally spend more time on the discord, Pokkén Arena has been a WONDERFUL place for documentation and thoughtful discussion. Being able to rely on a resource like this for insightful comment, a soapbox for new players, and character specific information (bless you Mitchel for your work in the Weavile board) has been extremely helpful growing as a Pokkén player

I've been lurking here, learning some sceptile bread and butter. REALLY good forum, I've never struggled to find the info I was looking for.

The first time I started looking at PA was when I first joined the community as a complete scrub lol. Wanting to learn more about the game I liked playing and too afraid to ask questions I so happened to stumble upon a link to Pokkén Arena. It was FILLED with info that I had never knew was in the game in the first place. My biggest reason for improving is because of how much I read, reread, took notes, and practiced what I learned here. A big thanks to those who took time and effort to make these guides! I guess that is my memory of my first time on PA :3

When I had to go to my grandmother's house with nothing to do I decided to write a 20 page paper about unblockables during the summer of 2017 since they were going to be patched out with DX's release.  Well by the time I was done with this mammoth of now completely irrelevant information to the metagame (June 19th just because I know these things) I wanted to upload it to Pokkén Arena via my mobile hotspot; however, like a complete scrub I forgot to save my password on my phone and, since I hadn't used the website for a long time before that, I forgot it.  Nevertheless, @Quiet saved the day so I could log into my account and post it.  The amount of hours I put into that thing was absurd, and I did it all within 2 or 3 days, so not being able to log in really bummed me out.  So thanks Quiet.  Even though we only talk like once every 2 months when we are randomly in the discord chat together, you're still the homie.

One of my fondest PA memories is posting the Twitter tech thread.  The hashtags are seeing use, which is fantastic news to me!

I've done competitive pokemon, in general, for about 10 years now. joining Pokkén in the first year was a really funny story because I didn't find this community, this community found me. I wasn't a forums guy at all so it may not surprise anyone that I play this game on my own. when I later met this community in person, everyone is chill and surprisingly less toxic than many FGC communities. anytime I go to many events its just pure respect all over. This site is what many people deserve if they ever want to get into the game. Any character can win tournaments, just gotta study as much as you can and experiencing the game is probably the biggest thing to do if you ever want to get better and also have a blast even if things don't go good. if your area has no local you can: blame DBFZ (jk, don't they are a cool group), help create a local, or be an online warrior. sure netplay isn't perfect but it does teach you about timings and patients at a much difficult level. online warriors may not get a lot of scene in local offline play, but they can kick more ass than you think. So if you ever need a good source to start with, this site can give you a head start!

Well, I really liked that there was a dedicated forum for Pokkén, since I like the concept of Pokkén Tournament in general!

I actaully like a lot the very good work @slippingbug is doing on the tiering, plus I get to see :MewtwoOld: being the best again, even though the most precious sources so far have been the Pokkén Basics guide by @BadIntent and @Scatz's guide to :CharizardOld:. I also liked a lot the posts @PokkenZard made.

Let's not forget also the amazing work on the frame data and the news on the front page about Pokkén and, last but not least, the links to the Discord servers which got me in contact with the community and, in particular, the :CharizardOld:server community with people who helped me a lot and whom I have in high esteem and I then endlessly spammed with my insane love for :CharizardOld:because the concept of a :CharizardOld:server is just too much for me.

P.S: also shout-out to @Scatz and his data on :CharizardOld: which is so good it helped me discover the meaning of some columns in the attack table, as well as @Bazaro and @kaloncpu57 who helped me a lot in the discovery of additional data in these tables (and even new mechanics we barely knew about!).

As the resident crazy old hermit lady who grew up in the era of the BBS and watched the rise of AIM from a college dorm, message boards and fansites are still kind of my go-to medium when I want to learn more about a game -- even though I realize communities these days are often fragmented and organically distributed across various modern social media platforms, it's still not really something I've been able to fully embrace.  So I can honestly say that if Pokkén Arena weren't here when I picked up the DX version for the Switch (my first and only foray into Pokkén, mind you!), I probably wouldn't have been as easily able to feed my insatiable hunger for learning more about this game, wouldn't have found my way to Allister's Twitch stream, wouldn't have been convinced to figure out the newfangled Discordamabob thingamajiggy, and just plain wouldn't have ended up dipping my toes back into a competitive gaming community.  And for how awesome this community has turned out to be, that would be a cryin' shame!

Personal preferences for older communication media aside, I'll echo others' sentiments of liking the centralization and permanence of reference material here, and hope people continue to add to it -- and I hope it's still around when I stop merely sponging up the wealth of information here and have things of my own that I want to add and discuss, too!

My two favorite memories from Pokkén Arena were:

This thread being created and everybody going into a big discussion about it all, along with reading everybody's answers

How Did You End Up With Your Gamertag

and

Making my first big post with actual researched info

Aegislash Just Frame Timings

I really liked making a lot of gunk things early on, and people seeing them made me so happy (it still does!) I haven't spent much time outside of the gunk forums but I love the interaction between them and our discord; also practically, this place is fantastic for storing info

Favorite thing about Pokkén Arena is when a character first comes out and the optimals are out and I can have an easy way to learn so much information about a character on day 1. It's something that wasn't as easy when Pokkén launched.

Thanks for the love @Mister Wu. Thanks to everyone who comments on any Pokkén content. It's easy to feel like your efforts or guides are going into some sort of silent void. @Edel Blau hoping to centralize more content here, glad you're enjoying what Pokkén Arena puts up!

I still at least make an effort to stay somewhat in the know about goings on around here... unfortunately, considering I've been very stingy with money these days, I've been finding it very hard to justify buying a Switch console just for Pokkén DX alone (which hurts because i really want to be playing it... but as a Wii U player, I still feel the burn a bit). I at least have one other game that's recently announced on my watchlist, but I would still prefer at least 3 very standout games to get me started... and I don't count Mario Odyssey and I got BotW on Wii U.

as for my fondest memory, it would probably have to be my attempt to strike out at the scene with Final Round XX... ended up getting my hide tanned, but I did get the chance to meet a few of the more notable names in the community in person, particularly Silverxx, a Suicune player whose stream I tended to watch when I was active on the Wii U version. it does come close to one Emerald Coast Con where I found myself reaching Grands against Suicune_Master, and I got my first taste of that kind of Grand Finals pressure when I reset the bracket against (I think...) Sceptile and Machamp

really do hope to get back into Pokkén, cause I did enjoy trying out Scizor and Decidueye when someone in the local FGC scene in my area happened to bring his game.