Midori

Japan player interview series! Ep.1, Ft: The storm of the sands and our Kanto winner, Bangi!

Hi guys! o/

As I tweeted, I will be doing interview series as much as I can so you guys could get to know the Japanese players a little better.

I will start with our recent Kanto Tournament 3 winner....

BANGI!

image.png.7c30714c31bf91b51014df35772be59c.png

A little bit of background information:

- Considered best Garchomp in Japan for a very long while and even until now!

- Only started coming out to events after Our Suicune prince himself Elm, invited him out :D!

- Is handsome, I promise!

- Follow him in twitter: @pk_bangi !!

I also consider him a very respectable person in the community who is extremely nice and approachable :)!

As he has given the OK with the interview, here it is:

--

M: What made you play Pokkén in the first place?

B: Well I originally played the Pokémon RPG series. One day I saw Pokkén being sold for the wiiu in stores so I bought it and it started from there!

M: And, where did your handle "Bangi" come from?

B: I remember the times when I was raising Pokémon from their youth, all the way to level 100 and one of said Pokémon was a Tyranitar (Japanese name: BANGIRASU). When I played online VS a friend for the first time, I immediately decided Bangi as my username lol xD.

M: Why do you main your current character, Garchomp?

B:  When I played the original Pokémon series, the Pokémon Garchomp was considered the strongest at the time so I thought “it has to be Garchomp!” and decided.

M: Have you ever thought about giving up as a Garchomp player before?

B: Yes I have. I've taken a mental break and used other Pokémon during the while. After using other mons, I began to realise strengths that only Garchomp uniquely has and so in turn, after I went back to Garchomp, I actually became a stronger player.

M: How do you become successful with Garchomp? Any advice for aspiring Garchomp players?

B: Garchomp footsies and neutral can be very difficult but as he is no. 1 within the cast in terms of damage and power, don’t give up until the end!  (Implying you can always come back with the sheer damage Garchomp does).

M: Please tell us what characters you think are top 3 and bottom 3 in the game.

B: Personally, I think top 3 are: Mewtwo, Braixen and Chandelure. Worst 3 are: Suicune, Croagunk and Shadow Mewtwo.

M: Actually that's strange since outside of Japan, it's not uncommon that people say Chandelure is WORST 3. Can you explain why you think Chandelure is strong?

B: I think it's easy to create a "Checkmate" situation to the opponent (implying a situation where all options are losing options), and that he has a lot of powerful moves.

M: Which player(s) do you personally like to watch in Pokkén?

B: Azazel’s Machamp.

M: Which Pokémon (that are not yet in) would you like to be in the game?

B: Greninja and Tyranitar.

M: Any advice for tournament play from yourself?

B: Well, even though luck and fate plays a part in tournaments, I like to think that your own hard work, mindset, and courses or action has a direct impact on your results.

You should do your best to believe in your actions and decisions in tournament and if you lose, you should properly reflect on that and try to tie it into what is coming next.

M: Any hobbies you like to do outside of Pokkén itself?

B: Yes, such as Splatoon and the Pokémon main series itself!

M: Is there anyone you’d like to be better friends with outside of Japan?

B: Rokso!!!

*And it is in this moment*.. that...

Somewhere... in this world...

image.png.bdcc9197771fe59ad82d442172075d13.png

M: If any, is there any question you wished I asked you and what's your answer to it?

B: Yes, and it is “would you like to participate in overseas tournaments?”. My answer is: Yes, someday I would like to make an appearance in overseas tournaments!

M: As expected of the great Bangi xD! Any last messages or shoutouts for your fans or the readers at home?

B: Thank you guys so much for cheering for me! All your cheering has become a form of power inside of me! I will try to meet your expectations in the next tournament and do my best as well!

Thank you guys for reading!

Stay tuned for the next interview :)!

~~Midori~~

Japanese version / 日本語版

Spoiler

M = みどり

B = ばんぎ

M: ポッ拳というゲームはどんなきっかけに始まったですか?

B: 元々は本家のポケモンをやっていて、ポッ拳というゲームは知っていてwiiuで発売されたので 始めました。

M: 自分の選んだの「名」のストーリー教えてください〜 (というは、ばんぎさんどうして「ばんぎ」さんですかw)

B: 幼いころ初めて100レベルまで育てたポケモンが「バンギラス」で思い入れがあり、ネットで 初めてフレンド対戦した時にとっさに決めてしまいましたw

M: どうして今のキャラ(ガブ)はメインなんですか?

B: 本家のポケモンではシングルバトルばかりやっていて、当時最強と言われてたポケモンが ガブリアスであり、「このポケモンしかないな」と思い決めました。

M: ガブリアス使いに成功するためアドバイスお願いします〜

B: ガブリアスは立ち回りは難しいですが全キャラ中1位のパワーがあるので、最後まで諦めずに 頑張っていきましょう。

M: ガブリアスに諦めたい時ありませんか?あればどんな方法でこの問題を乗り越えたのか?

B: ガブリアスを諦めたいと思ったことはありました。 気分転換に他のポケモンを使いました。他のポケモンを使うとガブリアスだけの 強さに気づくことが出来て、再びガブリアスを使った時には更に強くなれました。

M: 個人的に、このゲームのベスト3キャラと下の3キャラは?

B: 個人的ベスト3はミュウツー、テールナー、シャンデラ。  ワースト3はグレッグル、スイクン、ダークミュウツー。

M: シャンデラ海外でワースト3まで結構言われたが、個人的になぜそこまで強いと思いますか?

B: シャンデラは相手の「詰み」の状態を作りやすく、強力な技が多いからです。

M: ポッ拳以外の趣味教えてください!

B: ポケットモンスター!スプラトゥーン2!

M: もっと仲良くになりたい海外勢、いませんですか?

B: Rokso!

M: 見るのは楽しいプレーヤーは?

B: あざぜるさんのカイリキー。

M: ゲームの中にまだいないポケモン、個人的に何が入れて欲しいですか?

B: ゲッコウガ、バンギラス。

M: 大会に強くなるためアドバイスありませんか?

B: 大会は運の要素もありますが、自分の努力や考えの方向性が正しかったかどうかが結果に 結び付きやすいです。大会では自分のやってきたことを信じて力を出し切り、負けてしまったら しっかり反省をし次に繋げていきましょう。

M:こちらからまだ出してない、聞きたい質問ありませんか?あればその質問の答えもお願いしますw

B: 海外の大会に出たいかどうか? いつか海外の大会に出場してみたいです!

M: ファンと読者のための一言お願いします~

B: 応援ありがとうございます!応援は全て私の中で力になってくれます。 期待に答えられるように次の大会も頑張ります!

ばんぎさんインタビューお疲れ様でした!m(uwu)m

Bangi has been one of my favorite players since I first watched him, so I'm super glad that I got the opportunity to learn more about him.

This is one of the coolest ideas I've seen in the FGC! Please continue this series as much as you can, Midori! I'll be rooting for you! 

This is great! Thank you Midori for doing this and thank you Bangi for participating!

I don't know if I really know if there's anything I'd want to see improved-this is just pretty cool stuff overall. 

As for people I'd like to see in the future, well, as a Darkrai nerd, Haruyuki or Koin would be pretty cool to see!

I love the idea of interviewing players and seeing what they think about the game and seeing who they are. I particularly like interviews like BornFree's SFV player interviews, these sort of things are just real enjoyable.

Though, a few points to make...

I actually haven't heard many western opinions saying Chandelure is bad for a while now. The last time she was considered weak was around the time mikukey had just qualified for worlds. 

But by the time worlds came around and players like Twixxie and SoulGuitarist started getting very consistent with high placings, people have hopped off the 'Chandelure is weak' belief. Mikukey has continued to solidify the idea that Chandelure is strong too, his influence is definitely felt in the west (especially after beating slip, who was one of the more vocal detractors. Now he has openly spoke about saying she's really strong).

And when conducting interviews, I think it is better to make sure whoever you ask questions gives you a 'why' for their answers. Short answers are hard to really glean information out of. That only happened for like two questions so not a big deal.

Questions I'd like to suggest:

1. "How would you describe your own play style, and are there any factors (such as other games you may have played) that led you to play in that style?"

2. Are there any players you feel are not as well known butshould be? Who and why? 

3. What kind of system changes would you like to see in Pokkén? 

Thanks for doing these. This isn't the first time I have heard about JP player interviews but it is the first time I have seen it actually happen. I am psyched to actually get to see it happening.

Edited by 五月雨のペンタオ

Really nice of you to make these interviews. What id like to hear from these players is their mindset and gameplan, how they react and think during certain situations and how they train for tournaments. It would be cool if they could elaborate a bit more on these topics and the questions you asked since this interview seemed a bit short. 
Thanks for all the help Midori, you' re amazing and an important part of our community. 

Edited by Cancerfairy

12 hours ago, 五月雨のペンタオ said:

when conducting interviews, I think it is better to make sure whoever you ask questions gives you a 'why' for their answers. Short answers are hard to really glean information out of. That only happened for like two questions so not a big deal.

Questions I'd like to suggest:

1. "How would you describe your own play style, and are there any factors (such as other games you may have played) that led you to play in that style?"

2. Are there any players you feel are not as well known butshould be? Who and why? 

3. What kind of system changes would you like to see in Pokkén? 

Hi Pentao and thank you for the feedback! I actually have questions 1, and 2 listed in my pool of questions but decided to abstain from overloading said player. Question number 3 sounds interesting and I will be considering asking it for the players I feel a bit more technical, like Uho or Tonosama.

As for short answers, that is more towards the player themselves being more reserved, or even being considerate of my own workload for translation (Though I am fine with either and even encourage elicitation). If you wait for the next interview, I ASSURE you, you will be satisfied with the level of depth and reasoning they provide :)!

10 hours ago, Cancerfairy said:

this interview seemed a bit short. 

Like I said with Pentao. I try to elicit, but also respect the players wills as they often give less to be more considerate towards the interviewer, would like to be as diplomatic as possible etc.

Stay tuned for the next interview. I think lengthwise it could very well be double the length :)! I'll consider your other questions as well though!

Thank you guys for the feedback!