Sign in to follow this  
Mitchel

Night Slash Reset Route

Hello.

Whether getting out of a pressure scenario or throw crushing, landing Night Slash as a combo starter doesn't have the best damage to PSP ratio.

Usually using 6-12 PSP total based on which route you choose. Even then it is still difficult to break 200 damage.

An alternative route that can be done would be by inputting a singular 5Y, 2Y*, and an immediate Agility cancel into a charged Ice Punch. (4A > 5Y > 2Y* > 5A > 8A[A])

Upon the opponent recovering from the knockdown, the charged Ice Punch will be meaty enough to cover counter armor, jumping, or backdashing.

With this route, you will only have to use 3 PSP.

Even if the charged Ice Punch is blocked, the chip damage plus the sequence done beforehand does about the same amount of damage as the optimals from Night Slash.

It also puts yourself +8, corner carries, and most importantly lets you play Duel Phase for longer.

* Because of individual character hurtboxes, the amount of 2Y's you're able to do varies.

Darkrai - 2
Blaziken - 4
Pikachu/Pikachu Libre - 2
Lucario - 4
Gardevoir - 7
Scizor - 6

Aegislash - 1
Croagunk - 2
Sceptile - 3
Gengar - 2
Decidueye - 2
Machamp - 2
Braixen - 5
Empoleon - 1

Blastoise - 4
Mewtwo/Shadow Mewtwo - 5
Chandelure - 1
Suicune - 6
Weavile - 2
Charizard - 4
Garchomp - 4

Interesting, and very useful, but it seems deceptively hard to actually consistently get the maximum amount of hits off, not only is the timing/spacing seem to be strict enough that the other character often hits the ground before the maximum amount of hits, but actually having you get the first 2y in instead of continuing the 5y string, and not triggering the second 2y hit instead of just repeating the first one is pretty iffy on top of that.

What's the range of acceptable spacing on this? And timing wise, do you have any advice there that I can use based on some visual indicator (for example, I originally got the timing on the 6[x] oki down by using the "flash" after a character hits the ground as a visual reference).

I can certainly see the utility of this given you can add another 180+ damage over just the optimal in the same phase assuming you can then land a good damaging combo off after this, but given how finicky this is on top of how the number of hits needs to vary per MU, seems like, at least for me, it might not be feasible even there's a lot to make it worth it.

Edited by MajoraZ

On 12/13/2017 at 3:35 AM, MajoraZ said:

Interesting, and very useful, but it seems deceptively hard to actually consistently get the maximum amount of hits off, not only is the timing/spacing seem to be strict enough that the other character often hits the ground before the maximum amount of hits, but actually having you get the first 2y in instead of continuing the 5y string, and not triggering the second 2y hit instead of just repeating the first one is pretty iffy on top of that.

What's the range of acceptable spacing on this? And timing wise, do you have any advice there that I can use based on some visual indicator (for example, I originally got the timing on the 6[x] oki down by using the "flash" after a character hits the ground as a visual reference).

I can certainly see the utility of this given you can add another 180+ damage over just the optimal in the same phase assuming you can then land a good damaging combo off after this, but given how finicky this is on top of how the number of hits needs to vary per MU, seems like, at least for me, it might not be feasible even there's a lot to make it worth it.

Really boils down to getting used to the rhythm of each 2Y, as well as leaving a good enough gap between your input of 5Y into your first 2Y. The best advice I can give is to keep at it.

Landing a normal Night Slash (all three hits) on a grounded opponent is the favorable outcome for this route. When it comes other scenarios (anti-air, tipper, etc.), Its safer to just go with the bnb's.

I do understand the individual amount of 2Y reps needed can make this pretty tedious to land consistently on the whole cast. Being able to remember this kind of vague information is needed if you plan to use this route in your gameplay.

Edited by Mitchel

On 12/12/2017 at 6:37 PM, Mitchel said:

Because of individual character hurtboxes, the amount of 2Y's you're able to do varies.

Empoleon - 1
Chandelure - 1

You can also substitute doing 5Y > One 2Y with doing 5YY. It leads to the same amount of damage and it's easier to do! Going for 5YYY would result in them air teching

In case there are any Wii U woovs out there:

Braixen, M2 and SM2 are 4 instead of 5;

Garde is 3;

Suicune is 1;

Zard is 2;

Garde, suicune and zard air reset if you do any 2Y, so omit 2Y against those and go straight for 5A > 8A[A] after 5Y.