Sign in to follow this  
Psyanide

vs. Garchomp

12 posts in this topic

Overview:

This is a matchup that Mewtwo does pretty well in with regard to both phases... but there's one catch. Should you find yourself knocked down in the corner, you could be taking huge chunks of damage if you anticipate the wrong oki option Garchomp is going for. Knowing what your counters are for each potential oki option is one of the keys to doing well in this matchup.

Field phase:

Key moves to look out for - Garchomp's JY, fY, and homing

Mewtwo can handle a lot of Garchomp's options in field pretty well. As long as Mewtwo can keep Garchomp away or react properly to certain options, he can effectively deal with Chomp here. One of the things that makes this matchup different from others, however, is that Garchomp bypass Mewtwo's zoning by way of dig. Garchomp has to be careful how close he approaches using dig and what he does out of it, though, because Mewtwo can exploit dig more easily in this phase. If he approaches too closely, Mewtwo can intercept with his homing or punish if Chomp commits to dig fully on block. Because of this, one of Chomp's safest options is to come out of dig and use JY from midrange. Mewtwo often has to respect it because if he gets hit by JY he gets knocked back into an airtech or gets knocked into a wallsplat, which can be confirmed into nYY, setting up knockdown at the wall into the transition to duel phase (putting you already at the worst position to be in this matchup) or setting up field phase oki. When Garchomp does get in, you gotta be careful not to get hit by Garchomp's pocket sand - aka forward Y. It's fairly quick at 17 frames and has a bit of range on it. Getting smacked by it puts you in an air tech during the transition to duel phase, giving Garchomp a bit of a positional advantage. One other move to watch out for in field is Garchomp's homing attack. It's a frame 10 homing, so it usually beats out ours when contesting it. Although if they use homing 1 on shield and start charging homing 2, you can often beat it out with Mewtwo's fY before it charges enough to pierce.

Duel Phase:

Key moves to look out for - Garchomp's Dragon Claw (5A), Sand Tomb (2A), running stance X, and ]X[

Should you win field, the gameplan from here is pretty straightforward - retain the life lead, keep Garchomp out, and be ready to react to what Garchomp does to try to get in accordingly. Psycho cut is pretty effective in this matchup as Garchomp can't avoid it without comitting to 2X or going into dig. Watch out if the Garchomp is running Emolga, however - Emolga will be able to punish psycho cut in duel phase upon activation. You can avoid the Emolga call in field by cancelling into a side dash. A lot of what Garchomp will be doing in neutral will be looking for an opening to land dragon claw in order to get a combo going or moving in and out of dig to either get in or bait out a reaction from Mewtwo to punish. If Garchomp jumps out of dig, be careful not to 8Y too early or else Garchomp can punish with a delayed JX. If you notice the opposing Garchomp is using earthquake out of dig, you can low stance earthquake (since Mewtwo's low stance will armor lows) and there'll be plenty enough endlag for Mewtwo to punish with 6X or fire punch. Sometimes Garchomp will try to close space in neutral or chase you while you're coming down out of an air tech by going into running stance. When he does that, be prepared to fire punch if he uses running stance X. Be careful about being too quick to fire punch simply on reaction to running stance, however, because Garchomp can use Sand Tomb out of running stance as well. You can also use fire punch to punish in reaction to Garchomp going in with dragon claw,  but make sure not to mash the input or else dragon claw may outlast the armor. Simply input 2A once on reaction to dragon claw and wait for the critical hit from fire punch before confirming into ice punch. Should you get hit with Dragon Claw, however, Garchomp will often either confirm into J]X[ (jump release X) or go into running stance and go for a 50/50 by following with Sand Tomb. If they don't confirm into J[X], look out for the ensuing sand tomb. If they do confirm into J[X], they'll either carry into a wallsplat or set up for a knockdown in the corner

And that's where this matchup reaches a critical juncture.

How you'll act at this point depends on what oki option you think Garchomp is going to use. Knowing the Garchomp player's habits in this situation can help, but if you aren't sure what they'll go for, you'll have to watch very closely. If you see Garchomp charging sand tomb, you'll want to wait to react to the release of sand tomb. If they cancel out of sand tomb, there's a couple options they could go with. If they cancel out of sand tomb into J]X[, you can beat it with 8Y on wakeup. If they sand tomb cancel into running stance X, you could opt to block or go for the hard read and fire punch. If they release sand tomb or if they delay running stance, you can beat both with 2Y. 6YX is also a good callout against sand tomb. If you aren't sure if they'll sand tomb cancel into J]X[ , running stance X, or (if they're being real cheeky) stone edge, staying in block is a safe option as well. Be sure to keep in mind that Garchomp also has ways to call out your options as well. Like if the Garchomp is charging sand tomb and they're anticipating you'll 8Y to try to call out JX or J]X[, they can cancel out of sand tomb into dig. Same goes for using either of those aerials to call out 2Y. Garchomp can also call out 8Y, 2Y, and 6Y with a cancel into stone edge as well so you'll wanna watch for that possibility too. You'll also wanna pay attention to PSP count, as it can affect what you decide to do based on risk assessment. Say for example, if you've been knocked into a corner after a combo and estimate that Garchomp only has about 5-6 PSP left, it'd actually be better to eat a running stance X (which is 5 PSP) instead of risk taking a sand tomb, which is 0 PSP and can be confirmed into ]X[ for more damage than if you had just taken the running stance X. Be sure to also keep in mind that sand tomb isn't nearly as scary when at midscreen since it won't juggle so if you're on the ground at midscreen, don't be afraid to take the grab.

Recommended supports:

Togekiss -  a good option for any matchup. Getting the speed boost will allow Mewtwo to be able to dominate Garchomp in neutral even more than he already can.

Fennekin - a good way of getting out of oki situations in the corner, especially since Garchomp doesn't have any ways to punish fennekin outside of burst attack - and even that requires somewhat strict timing. I typically recommend using Fennekin over Umbreon since it charges faster.

If there's anything I've missed or if you have any questions, be sure to let me know below.

Psyanide,

Perhaps you should show up to your locals, and prove you really know this match-up.

I'll be waiting.

4 hours ago, SmashSteve said:

Psyanide,

Perhaps you should show up to your locals, and prove you really know this match-up.

I'll be waiting.

???

I go to Gwinnett Brawl every month...? We even have our own resident Garchomp who does fairly well (Horndrill). If I'm so horribly wrong about this matchup, do tell me where it is that I went wrong.

Edited by Psyanide

I thought your in Ontario? Cause we have weeklies all the time, and I never see you.

Your right about the Mewtwo vs. Garchomp match-up, mewtwo wins. But I was trying to challenge/motivate you to show up to your locals.

Edited by SmashSteve

5 hours ago, SmashSteve said:

I thought your in Ontario? Cause we have weeklies all the time, and I never see you.

Your right about the Mewtwo vs. Garchomp match-up, mewtwo wins. But I was trying to challenge/motivate you to show up to your locals.

No I live in America lol and like I said, I'm at Gwinnett Brawl every month - which is where Georgia's Pokkén scene has their local brackets. If you don't believe me, there's vods up on youtube. It's the only local Pokkén scene we have within 400 miles of where I am

Welp, my bad. I saw you at Toryuken 2016 in Canada once, and assumed you were Canadian (most of the entrants were). Good on ya for supporting your locals though!

Edited by SmashSteve

5 hours ago, SmashSteve said:

Welp, my bad. I saw you at Toryuken 2016 in Canada once, and assumed you were Canadian (most of the entrants were). Good on ya for supporting your locals though!

That wasn't me LOL I've only been to MWC 2016, KIT 2017, Final Round 20, and MomoCon 2017.

9 hours ago, SmashSteve said:

So there's another mystery player that uses the tag Psyanide in Canada.

apparently... O.o

Psyanide,

I just went back to check the Toryuken 2016 results, then players name was Psykotic! Not Psyanide, the names are SO similar I thought it was you.

I meant to call out Psykotic, why don't you show up to your locals man!

Edited by SmashSteve