Fumu

Final Boss 2017 - Feedback Thread

Image may contain: text

Hi folks!  We want to hear your feedback about the event!

Post below with your feedback in regards to the event, stream, or anything else related to the event.

Thanks!

Besides me going 0-2, top 8 commentary (it should’ve been Burnside and H2),and horrible internet, this was amazing. Hope everyone improves by NEC, including myself. 

It was an amazing event run as smooth as it can despite technical difficulties got to meet people I wanted to meet but couldn't play all of them since we had no time to play much. However this event I will never forget and I will do my best to make it out to more of these events in the future. 

Final boss was great! Pretty much the only things that went poorly were outside the event-such as the internet or the fairly disastrous after-dinner. I had a wonderful time overall, however, and there was so much good here! The tournament ran extremely smoothly, the matches were hype and there were a lot of setups available for friendlies. I'm looking forward to next time!

IT WAS REALLY AWESOME AND RUN PRETTY SMOOTHLY. MY BIG BEEF WAS WITH THE SPEAKER ON SUNDAY. LIKE THE REST OF THE WEEKEND IT WAS A GOOD VOLUME BUT IT WAS GIVING ME A HEADACHE ON DURING TOP 16 EXCEPT FOR THE 5 ISH ROUNDS THEY HAD IT TURNED DOWN AND THAT MIGHT'VE INCLUDED THE EXHIBITION MATCHES. I PUT ON SOME HEADPHONES TO MUFFLE THE SOUND AND I'm fine but yeesh. it was loud. Kinda made me not want to watch it without something to muffle the noise.

The whole thing was planned for Pokkén so none of this "oh dear do we only have half the setups" sadness that plagues some other majors, so that's cool. I was a little unclear when the friendly setups were or weren't off limits during bracket, though. I was also scratching my head when I heard "station number whatever" because I don't think any of them were numbered...? It wasn't really hard to figure it out once you had to play in bracket, though. I just wanted moorrreee friendliiiiiieessssss and didn't get enough in. I guess for a lot of it, I was engrossed in other people's matches. >3>

The internet dying sucked, but I think it was handled by tournament staff in a practical way. The hotel was otherwise a nice fit, room capacity wise. I guess I could nitpick the slow shuttle to/from the airport (when we waited, to leave more like once an hour or 40 minutes rather than every 20 minutes as advertised), but it beat having no hotel shuttle at all.

would come back again, funds and vacation time permitting

Let me start by saying that, as my first major, Final Boss was an A+ experience and I'd happily do it again. Major kudos to all the event organizers and volunteers for a job very well done, especially the whole HBA crew and Fumu. We got all the right people together to both run and play the tournament, and that's far and away the biggest thing that matters. All this stuff is just small polish stuff for next time.

I agree with PaperSak the audio system was a hair too loud on Sunday.

On the Internet: I think everyone did a great job of adapting to the situation that arose. For what it's worth, I work in tech, I've attended a handful of conferences in my career, and the conventional wisdom among event organizers is that hotels and convention centers always overstate their practical Internet capacity. So I was zero surprised that the hotel Internet couldn't carry two streams. They assume your attendees are just going to be doing light web browsing and e-mail checking. They're not prepared for any kind of actually demanding application. It's best to test before the event, and potentially plan to bring your own Internet connectivity if it's that important—it's not cheap but it can be done.

It would be nice to have a venue closer to more food options. It was a plus that this hotel was so easy to get to from the airport, but you only worry about airport transportation when you first arrive and when you last leave. You worry about meals two or three times a day, and it was tough to get people together, organize carpools, and so on, but that was basically the only practical option here. If a venue had at least a fast food place and a sit-down place in walking distance, that seems like it would be ideal. Maybe these are unrealistic big city slicker expectations though.

I was only able to go on Saturday, but that alone was absolutely fantastic. Perhaps the high point of my year. I agree with most of what was said above, but I'd like to add that the HBA people running it were super cool as well. One of them even went out of his way to talk to people and make sure they were having a good time (myself included), and I just thought that was really cool.

My main complaint is that the speaker for the stream on the right was kinda funky. At one point it seemed to be playing nothing but the bass, and that bass was unreasonably high. According to Ricky, though, it's like that at all HBA events, so it's not that much of a complaint I guess.

The internet was a downside but its not HBAs fault as much as the hotel and weathers. 

The crowd and members of the community who showed up, old and new really made this event so great and as long as theres an amazing crowd like this, I’ll be sure to enjoy the event. Edd was a bum though.

Fumu is my favorite TO from any community Ive ever been apart of and he deserves great things in life for the amazing things hes gone out of his way to do. Love Fumu guys.

10/10 event.

14 hours ago, PokkenZard said:

It would be nice to have a venue closer to more food options. It was a plus that this hotel was so easy to get to from the airport, but you only worry about airport transportation when you first arrive and when you last leave. You worry about meals two or three times a day, and it was tough to get people together, organize carpools, and so on, but that was basically the only practical option here. If a venue had at least a fast food place and a sit-down place in walking distance, that seems like it would be ideal. Maybe these are unrealistic big city slicker expectations though.

This, too, but the delivery options saved us a couple times. Hotel didn't appear to have anywhere to eat said food as a group, though, except the cold and windy lobby.

Ah, other weird miniscule thing about the speakers for the stage game is the audio was backwards (all of?) Sunday. Only really obvious when they were playing completely different sounds between rounds. Not sure it was just too hard to fix or what, but it wasn't detrimental to the experience.

As said by others here, more food options near the hotel would be nice (but the hotel's restaurant were quite nice (except for the pancakes, ban whoever made those)), and making the speakers match up with what's on the screen would be pretty nice too.

Other than that, it was good looks, and I hope there'll be another one next year!

the stream was good for me! I wasn't too badly affected by the internet issues as I was sleeping at the time, but it was handled well by Shippo and Allister, livestreaming the matches when internet was down. commentary was ok, no major issues for me. wasn't there in person so unfortunately i can't say anything else. especially loved the salty suite money matches, although maybe there could've been a mic for the trash talking :D 

amazing event overall!!

The technical failures were kind of a shame considering how big the event was. Then again the hotel itself wasn't very good so I kind of expected it. Another thing I want to bring up though is the lack of moderation at the friendlies stations when not being used for tournie-play. I heard someone (don't remember who) telling everyone to do Bo3s, but some people didn't care and kept going. I'm sure there were plenty of people who wanted to get some offline play in but couldn't (or hardly got any).

Edited by Fidchell